• Thursday, December 21, 2006

    Crazy kids, foreign beggars, and bands of the eighties...

    Overcast beach, Koh Chang, Thailand

    Left the daughter with one of her school friends today for several hours. First time she's really done this for more than an hour. She had a great time and when I collected her she looked like she'd an accident with a paint truck. The two of them had discovered her mate's mum's make-up and gone wild with it.

    Down on Sukhumvit road today I saw, for the first time I think, a foreign beggar on the streets. Huddled in a shop doorway with a sign saying he was 7,000 baht away from getting a flight home and would do work for cash. Needs food etc. Oddly enough he didn't look too much like a beggar and certainly wasn't malnourished. He was young, fit, healthy looking and clean shaven. I'm sure I read somewhere about him a few weeks ago and he was after 7,000 baht then too. Either it's not going to well or he's on the scam.

    I've been approached before by foreigners with the hard luck story about losing their tickets and trying to scrape enough cash together for a ticket out but never seen one actually sitting and begging. I'd be interested to know how much he makes with this.

    I check out a blog here regularly which has a weekly "song from the eighties" section. It's started quite a topic of conversation about eighties music, quite interesting. Makes me wonder, what would be the best band of the eighties? The best one hit wonder? And the band/song that most symbolises the eighties? Any takers?

    Crazy kids, foreign beggars, and bands of the eighties...

    Labels: ,

    4 Comments:

    Blogger Liza said...

    Just one of each? Not a chance that I could take you up on that. Maybe Culture Club or Duran Duran as bands that symbolize the 80s. They wouldn't have worked during any other decade, I think. They're not my faves, but they were just so 80s.

    2:22 am  
    Blogger Life Out East said...

    Yep, I agree with those two, definitely an eighties flavour. ABC and Tears for Fears do it for me, very eighties. Also Purple Rain by Prince is a definite choice. Still thinking of a particular song.

    11:14 am  
    Blogger Liza said...

    See? There are just so many! I could probably think of more, if I weren't dealing with the mutiny on my blog...

    What about "Come On Eileen"?

    10:47 pm  
    Blogger Life Out East said...

    Yep, that's a good one but now, after the zillionth time of hearing it, it has lost its appeal.
    Whatever happened to Sigue Sigue Sputnik? They've got to be the winners of worst and most hyped one hit wonder (almost one hit).

    11:40 pm  

    Post a Comment

    << Home

    eXTReMe Tracker