• Tuesday, October 31, 2006

    Nigerian scam, Ghana scam, West African scam....

    It now seems that on a daily basis I receive scam mail through my inbox. No matter how well it is disguised it is always conected in some way to somewhere in West Africa.

    The story usually varies but the idea is the same. Someone is dead/in prison/missing etc and a large amount of money needs to be removed from an account in Nigeria/Ghana/Sierra Leone. The recipient of the mail is known (somehow) as a trusted and honest person. If they can use your account to deposit the said millions in then you get 25-50% of the loot for yourself.

    I've even had one claiming to be from the solicitor of a millionairess in Holland. She had no family and wanted to leave her estate to a God fearing Christian who would be a worthy beneficiary. After extensive research they chose me. Huumm. How extensive? I'm not even a Christian!

    It seems that this is big business in Nigeria and Ghana. The Nigerian scam (or Ghana or Sierra Leone etc) works on high volume mailing. Basically they churn out these mail by the hundreds of thousands and look for maybe one sucker per 100,000. They can send the mails in a click of a button and when they catch someone they can scam about US$50,000 or more so it is good business for them.

    Do people fall for this? Sure. For every 50,000 or 100,000 that bin the mail there is one who falls straight into the trap. When the media have questioned people in Nigeria or Ghana about it they say that it is the recipient's greed that is to blame, not the sender. Humm.

    Has anyone found a way to turn the tables on this? Is there a way to fire the scam straight back at the scammers? I'd be interested to know and maybe have a shot at scamming the scammers.

    Here's the most recent examples:

    From Jefferson / Silvia Awiloba

    Dear Sir/ Madam,

    It is my pleasure to introduce you to a business that will make the beginning of never -ending family relations and l hope this proposal will not come to you as an embarrassment. l am Jefferson Awiloba, the only son of late Dr Alexander Awiloba who was a famous cocoa merchant. My late father operated his cocoa business in Abidjan Cote d' ivoire under partnership, but unfortunately late father was poisoned by his business associates in order to claims the newly awarded contract and his wealth in a cocktail party held in his honour as the director of the company. When he was poisoned, he was rushed to the hospital. It was in the hospital that he secretly disclosed to me the cause of his sickness and why he was poisoned. There he informed me that he deposited the sum of US$11,500M. (Eleven Million Five Hundred Thousand United Dollars) in a suspense coded account to a bank here in Abidjan Cote d' Ivoire and that l and my little sister was made the next of kin to inherit the money in his record file. He therefore advised me to look for a reliable, trust worthy and God fearing person who will assist me transfer the money abroad strictly for investment purposes. This is because he didn’t want his associate to raise an eyebrow o his fund. He also advised me to avoid his associates and our family members who will be running after our dear lives; he finally died in the hospital after few days of admission. Please, I am soliciting for your assistance to help me and my little sister transfer the money into your account for an investment purpose over there in your country. I hope to travel with you to your country after a successful transfer of this money. The contact of the bank will be given to you as soon as you show your interest and willingness to me. You can now instruct them on where and how the money will be transferred. I am offering you 25% of the total sum as commission for your assistance to transfer the money to your country. May I strongly re-emphasise that this transaction is highly confidential, hitch free and this will be successfully concluded within 10 days according to your willingness. I look forward to hear from you soon.

    Thank you and God bless you.

    Yours Sincerely.Jefferson/ Silvia.


    Another one:

    Dear Sir/Madam,

    First and foremost I would like to apologize for infringing on yourprivacy by sending you an unsolicited email, I decided to contact you viaan email to get us acquainted since it is a safer way of privatecommunication. If you must know, I came about your contact informationthrough a chamber of commerce and industry directory on the Internet whiletrying to locate any link to my deceased client.I am Abdulla Ibrahim., an attorney at law. A deceased client of mine, byname Mr. Edwards J. Donald, who were in after shall be referred to as myclient, died as a result of heart related illness in November 1999.I have contacted you to assist in distributing the money left behind bymy client before it is confiscated or declared unserviceable by thefinance company where this deposit valued at US$16.400, 000.00 Dollars islodged. This finance company has issued me a notice to contact the nextof kin, or the account will be confiscated and the fund remitted to theFederal Reserve. My proposition to you is to seek your consent topresent you as the next-of-kin and beneficiary of my named client; so thatthe proceeds of this account can be paid to you. Then we can share theamount on a mutually agreed-upon percentage.All legal documents to back up your claim as my client's next-of-kinwill be provided. All I require is your honest cooperation to enable ussee this transaction through.This will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protectyou from any breach of the law. If this business proposition offendsyour moral values, do accept my apology. Please contact me at once toindicate your interest.

    Best regards,

    Barrister Abdulla Ibrahim.

    Nigerian scam, Ghana scam, West African scam....

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home

    eXTReMe Tracker